The Speed Gene Test
The results of the Speed Gene Test will help trainers to:
- Determine optimum race distance with over 90% accuracy
- Inform expectations on two-year-old performance
- Increase strike rates and earnings though optimised training and race decisions
The Speed Gene Test was launched by Equinome in 2010 and since then has grown to be the most firmly established genetic test for Thoroughbred horses around the globe. This test examines changes in the DNA within the “Myostatin” gene, which is responsible for muscle development and muscle fibre type.
The Speed Gene test then categorises horses into three distinctive types:
- C:C Sprint/Mile Types
- C:T Middle Distance Types
- T:T Staying Types
What’s Your Type?
Each genetic type has equal potential to be an elite racehorse, but they get there in very different ways:
How Can I Use The Speed Gene Test For Breeding?
The results of the Speed Gene Test will help breeders to:
- Assist in the production of more early-maturing or classic types depending on your preference
- Increase strike rates for wins and earnings
- Increase sales prices and clearance rates by using objective, positive genetic information
Use The Speed Gene Test information when matching mares and stallions to produce more of your desired type on a consistent basis. The mare and stallion each pass on one copy of their genetic marker (i.e. ‘C’ or ’T’) to the foal, with a C:T horse being equally likely to pass on a ‘C’ or ’T’.
The table to the right shows clearly how to tilt the breeding odds in your favour.